There is nothing like living on an unbridged island. So come along on this Photo Tour journey and discover the gems of Vinalhave Island, twelve miles from the mainland. Be swept away by the culture, the pace, the quaintness, the people, the landscape and the ocean views. Days are full but not rushed. Think ‘Adult Summer Photo Camp’; fun, educational, adventurous, and yet restorative.
Join me, Dee Peppe, and immerse yourself in island life as we explore the heart of the island and let your experiences inform your image-making. I have been bringing photographers to Vinalhaven for more than 30 years. My connections will allow you to experience the island like a local. So come on this journey and discover the allure of artists returning for more.
The price does not include lodging. Expect $200-$220 a night. More details, including a sample itinerary, can be found on the website.
• perfect for all photographers and all camera types
• be met at your skill level with guidance to build on your camera-handling techniques
• expand your vision with tips on seeing and composition
• demonstrations and discussions, hands-on exercises to practice techniques
• feedback and critiques
• group size will be small, with a lot of individual attention
• take advantage of photo opportunities from sunrise to sunset
• geologically diverse with 23 land preserves to explore for intimate nature details and ocean vistas.
• beautiful bay scenery with views of small, spruce-covered islands
• rocky coastline
• busy working harbor with the largest fleet of lobster boats in the area
• friendly, helpful, and charming people
• year-round population of 1200
• thriving lobster fishing industry
• a vibrant artist community
• small village with unique shops and galleries
ACTIVITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• peaceful nature trail hikes
• excursions to hard-to-find locations and hidden spots
• visiting a working artist’s studio
• diving into the rich granite history at the museum or a crystal clear quarry
• a boat ride for a picnic lunch to a nearby uninhabited island
• private lobster boat charter to photograph the lobster hauling in action
• adventuring in a skiff to the neighboring island village for happy hour at the brew-pub
• explore a busy working harbor with one of the largest lobstering fleets on the Maine coast
• kayaking or bicycling (rental fees not included in tour price)
• discover signs of island history while on excursions
• lodging in the center of the village
Learn what it takes to live full-time on an island!
I am a longtime Maine resident, fine-art photographer, and professor at the University of Maine. I bring a unique combination of local knowledge and teaching experience to the itinerary of every tour. While covering camera techniques, I strive to show you ways to expand your vision and increase your awareness of your surroundings. In addition, I will help you understand the camera controls that can support your vision and, overall, help you see the world through your camera more creatively – more info on the website.