Get ready for a photo trip of a lifetime as we travel 188 miles (302 km) over seven days on the mighty Colorado River through the majestic Grand Canyon. This tour will travel aboard a customized 35′ aluminum-framed neoprene rubber pontoon-style watercraft, with two highly experienced boat crew, the instructor, seventeen-time rafting aficionado Kerrick James and an assistant Photo Guide.
Each day our guides will navigate the river while you enjoy leisurely floats, invigorating rapids, views of ancient ruins, side canyons hikes, waterfalls and a few refreshing swimming holes. Kerrick will be continuously communicating with the crew to coordinate pullouts for great photography and will work with each participant to create compelling compositions. Some of our favorite pullouts may include Phantom Ranch, Elves Chasm, Deer Creek Falls, Nankoweap Granaries and Havasupai Canyon to name a few. Shoving off in August will give us great afternoon clouds and possible rainbows.
Our rafting expedition will begin with a safety debriefing at Lee’s Ferry before loading the gear and ourselves onto the raft for this epic journey. The first day or two will give you a chance to get acclimatised to river life with a few smaller rapids. As we head further downriver we will have a chance to experience some of the more thrilling rapids that offer impressive waves and epic splashes. During the day our crew will make pullouts on sandy beaches so that we can enjoy photography, meal breaks and, of course, our end-of-day camp setup.
Speaking of meals on the river, our boat crew is not only experienced in whitewater manoeuvring, but they are also pretty good cooks too. Each morning you will roll out of your tent to the smell of fresh-brewed coffee and sizzling breakfast meat while they eagerly await preparing your ready-to-eat eggs along with a spread of sides, cereals and fresh fruit. Picnic lunches of sandwiches with quality meats, cheeses and veggies will be enjoyed mid-day, while our evenings will begin with appetizers of cheeses, crackers, olives and pickled veggies, followed by a delicious dinner-themed main course of New York steak, grilled salmon fillet and a Mexican feast to name a few. Of course, you will always have access to a supply of snacks and beverages.
As our week draws to an end, we will be transported via helicopter to Bar 10 Ranch where you will board a small fixed-wing aircraft back to Marble Canyon or Las Vegas, depending on your preferred departure location. A few weeks following the workshop, our team will schedule an online post-workshop image critique and provide a dropbox link for uploading images. During this session everyone will have an opportunity to share and reminisce about our adventure on the river.
Included in this workshop
• Pre-workshop online orientation and classroom session
• In-field reviews, discussions and mentoring
• Post-workshop online image critique session
• Pre-night lodging in Marble Canyon
• 7-days river rafting with Hatch River Expeditions
• All meals, snacks and beverages from launch to departure (lemonade, Gatorade, water, milk, juice, coffee, tea and hot chocolate)
• Beverages (excluding alcohol, soda and other specialty drinks – guests may bring their own)
• A souvenir insulated mug
Use of camping gear including
• Dishes and utensils
• A lifejacket
• A tent (one for every two guests)
• A sleep kit (a sheet, pillow, ground cloth and either a cot or a sleeping pad)
• A camp chair
• Day Dry Bag – 8” in diameter by 20” long for a total volume of 16L. This bag will hold your small, hiking backpack and any gear you need access to during the day.
• Night Dry Bag – 18” in diameter by 31” long for a total volume of 127L. This bag will contain your sleep kit as well as your duffel bag of night gear.
• Helicopter flight out of the Canyon to Bar 10 Ranch and fixed-wing flight back to Marble Canyon or Las Vegas.
Not included in this workshop
• Pre-workshop transportation to Marble Canyon. If you are flying into Las Vegas, you will need to book a shuttle or flight to arrive in Marble Canyon for our departure. This is not included in the fee and can be booked through Bar 10 Ranch.
• A dry bag for your camera equipment.
• Alcoholic beverages or soft drinks
• Personal items (clothing, medications, water bottles, Medical Evacuation Insurance and Travel Insurance)
• Gratuities for your Boat Crew