Patagonia is vast and beautiful, and there is a great deal most visitors never see, beyond the most iconic locations like Torres del Paine National Park. Eddie Soloway and Justin Black will lead this small group of passionate photographers on an expedition through Chile’s little-visited Aysen region - home to soaring peaks, pristine lakes, wild turquoise rivers, water-sculpted marble caves, unique forest ecosystems and numerous glaciers descending from the massive Northern Patagonian Ice Field. It offers incredible opportunities for landscape, wildlife and cultural photography, without the tour buses of the more heavily visited Patagonian destinations. Put simply, the wild serenity, scenic splendor and photographic potential will amaze you.
We are visiting in the Patagonian spring, when the lupines and other wildflowers are in full bloom, the rivers are roaring and the high peaks still wear veils of fresh snow. Excursions will include helicopter flights (each guest gets one flight) to do doors-off photography over the spectacular Northern Patagonian Ice Field and Monte San Valentin, a jet boat excursion from Lago Leones to the Leones Glacier, a boat excursion to Marble Caves on Lago General Carrera, as well as a day aboard a private expedition boat to visit the fjords and the Jorge Montt Glacier. Via our group vehicles, we will visit spectacular locations that we have explored on prior visits. Some locations involve short hikes, but nothing particularly strenuous.
There will be an emphasis on creative photography and hands-on mentoring in the field. We will photograph when the conditions and light are at their best, and we will gather for presentations on composition, visualization, qualities of light, technique and digital workflow at times when light or weather aren’t as conducive for photography. We will also hold constructive critiques of participant photographs and then head back out into the field to apply what we have learned.
$12,400 USD per person double occupancy; $13,500 USD single occupancy
• Lodging at best-available accommodations from the afternoon of Nov 10 to the morning of Nov 23, 2019
• Helicopter flights to do doors-off aerial photography over the massive Northern Patagonian Ice Field and dramatic Monte San Valentin
• Jet boat excursion to Leones Glacier
• Private boat excursion to Marble Caves on Lago General Carrera
• Private boat excursion to Jorge Montt Glacier
• All ground transportation included from arrival to departure at Balmaceda Airport
• All meals and snacks (including our famous Patagonian picnic lunch spreads)
• All beverages (including excellent Chilean wines and beers with dinner)
• Attentive and generous expert photographic instruction throughout by Justin Black and Eddie Soloway
• Services of expert local guides headed by our good friend Ruth Cohen, regarded as one of the very best guides in Chilean Patagonia
• All travel expenses necessary to arrive at our starting point at the airport in Balmaceda, Chile, and all ongoing travel expenses from drop off at Balmaceda airport at the end of our itinerary
• Cost of passports, visas, etc
• Travel insurance, and travel medical/evacuation insurance (strongly recommended)
• Gratuities for local guides and drivers
• Personal purchases and gear
• Alcoholic beverages not served by your hosts at lunch or dinner
Click the 'More information / Book this tour' button on the sidebar for a detailed itinerary and more information about this expedition.